Tuesday 22 June 2010

First Farm-Hasenpfeffer Bauernhof







I’ve finished the first of a number of farms, villages and towns I plan to make for my SYW/WAS armies to fight over. They are card buildings and the idea is to make up as good terrain as I can to compliment the fact that I have been painting figures for this project for over two years now.
Like all first attempts, there are errors – most notably, I don’t think the fence is high enough and, although I can live with this, the next ones will have chunkier circumscription!
I’ve put the 1st battalion of the Brunswick Regiment Mansberg in to garrison the place.
The second picture shows the vegetable plot! Yes, I know, I can hear you say that I’m losing the plot here, but, hey, anybody who knows me, knows that I am a fanatic for those realistic touches. I was thinking of having laundry out to dry and the good farmer’s wife out weeding but, first, I decided she would go indoors if there was a likelihood of a battle raging around her house and, secondly, there are no weeds in her garden as I did not put any there.
Back in the real world, I’m currently painting a couple of Hessian guard battalions and they should be up by the weekend.

PS I forgot to ask any German speakers to kindly give me a name for this farm and, if possible, a translation of what it means. Everywhere has a name!

The suggestion, kindly received from one of my readers (thanks Stokes) is
Hasenpfeffer Bauernhof or Rabbit Stew Farm.

3 comments:

  1. Your farm looks great! How about naming it Hasenpfeffer Farm? Hasenpfeffer is, apparently, a traditional rabbit stew with (appropriately enough) peppered rabbit or hare.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes Schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nigel,

    I really like the foliage that you've used around the farmhouse. It gives it much more of a "real" look.

    I agree about the fence, but overall this terrain piece is excellent, sir.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I have not done cardboard models in a number of years, but they always look better on a base, and your bases look really good, Nigel.

    ReplyDelete